20 January 2012

Shukr..for adversity

So, this post was actually supposed to be about health however due to 'current circumstances' I decided this was a more relevant subject. Health will have to wait.

'God turns you from one feeling to another and teaches you by means of opposites, so that you will have two wings to fly -not one.'
- Rumi

I love this quote by Rumi, it gives me great comfort to think that what may seem like a bad situation could just be Allah SWT's way of making us better people. For me, believing that is important in order to remain sane in the face of adversity.

Right, so what is adversity?

Adversity: [Ad-ver-si-tee]
noun, plural -ties for 2.
1. adverse fortune or fate; a condition marked by misfortune, calamity, or distress: A friend will show his or her true colors in times of adversity.
2. an adverse or unfortunate event or circumstance: You will meet many adversities in life. 
Or in other words, seriously bad luck!

Recently I feel like I've been having my fair share (and other people's fair share!) of bad luck, so rather than thinking (and thinking and thinking) about it all and being drawn into that darkness that is self-pity, I busied myself in listening to the recitation of the Quran. Subhanallah, that has never failed to make me feel better. As soon as I got into it, I realised that obviously there is a reason that Allah, the most Wise, has subjected me to such things!

"O you who believe, seek assistance through patience and prayer; surely Allah is with the patient. And speak not of those who are slain in Allah’s way as dead. Nay, (they are) alive, but you perceive not.
And We shall certainly try you with something of fear and hunger and loss of property and lives and fruits. And give good news to the patient, who, when a misfortune befalls them say: 'Surely we are Allah’s and to Him we shall return.'
Those are they on whom are blessings and mercy from their Lord; and those are the followers of the right course." 
-Surah Al Baqarah:153-157

So these 'difficult' times are actually a means of earning blessings and mercy? Subhanallah.
Can I just take a moment remind us all (and I address myself before anyone else) that Allah SWT's mercy knows no bounds?! His Mercy far exceeds the love and mercy that most of mankind has encountered – even that exhibited by our mothers. Just think about it; our mothers demonstrate the epitome of unconditional love and mercy, even when we're on the receiving end of her anger. Yet this is nothing in comparison to Him!

And to recieve this subhanallah amazing blessing, all it takes is a bit of patience and faith! The faith that Allah SWT has planned this, partly as a test and partly as a way of making things easier for us in both worlds. 

Ok, so it's easier said than done, being patient takes a lot of....well, patience, which to be completely honest, I don't have much of. But if I put that on the larger scale, I end up with two scenarios;
1- one where I have stressed myself out, cursed my 'bad luck', placed half-hearted trust in Allah and convinced myself that He is punishing me; therefore displeased Him and easing my way into Jahannum (Astagfirullah :/),
or,
2- seen this as an opportunity to show Allah how much I trust Him; by believing that even though I may not see it now, I know there is good in this for me, and that by enduring this for a little while (because what is this world compared to the next eh?) I will become the object of His infinite mercy and blessings and therefore indirectly reserve my place in Paradise (Insha'Allah!).

It's clear which scenario holds the weight.

So.....adversity? 
Not such a bad thing after all.

O Allah! I hope for Your mercy, so do not leave me in charge of my affairs for even the blink of an eye and rectify for me all my affairs. Allah, You are sufficient for me; there is no God but You. In You I have placed my trust. You are the Lord of the Mighty Throne. Ameen.



[PS anyone looking for a particularly beautiful and calming recitation of The Quran should definately listen to Imams Al-Sudais and Al-Shuraim. Strongly strongly strongly recommend it!]

Any good in this post is from Allah SWT and any bad is from myself and Shaytaan.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely post mashallah and such a lovely blog too! Please do follow my blog back!
    -- www.theeasternpearl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jazakallah sis! So sweet of you to take the time out to comment alhumdulillah :) looking forward to following yours too x

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love the title of your blog! and i really needed to read this post as i often forget that the hard times bring me the closest to Allah. :)

    http://sarahriaz.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jazakallah! I know what you mean, we forget so easily that Allah SWT is always there, helping us, even when it seems otherwise..
    Alhumdulillah, I'm glad my post served as a reminder :)

    ReplyDelete

Shukr....for commenting below! :)